Enabling excellence: Our success story.

Infraserv Höchst and Industriepark Höchst

Infraserv Höchst: Just our name reveals the depth of our connection to Höchst – and the successful industrial history of this suburb of Frankfurt. What started out in 1863 as a small tar dye factory in Höchst, then still part of the Duchy of Nassau, quickly grew into one of Germany's largest chemical companies. Today, we provide an attractive site for over 90 companies in the pharmaceutical and chemical industries – from multinational corporations to innovative service providers. Located at the gates of Frankfurt, Industriepark Höchst provides ideal access to international financial and goods flows via roads, the railroad, the Main River, and the nearby airport. And with its impressive value chain, Industriepark Höchst is a major driver of the local economy and one of the region's largest employers.

2014

  • 15,000 visitors at Industriepark Höchst's open house day: The park's tenants put together a varied, information-packed program on chemicals and pharmaceuticals that offered something for everyone: from factory and park tours to information booths and interactive programs. An open-air fair featured a host of attractions on a show stage, along with countless games and activities for the kids.

2013

  • 150 years of history and the future: Industriepark Höchst celebrates its anniversary: Industriepark Höchst has reached another milestone. On January 31, 1863, exactly 150 years ago, “Theerfarbenfabrik Meister, Lucius & Co.”, the predecessor of Farbwerke Hoechst and Hoechst AG, was established. 2013 is dedicated to “People. Site. Value” in the spirit of this special landmark.

2012

  • Infraserv Höchst starts operating Creative Campus Monheim.

2011

  • Ticona commissions its new plant for the production of polyoxymethylene (POM). It is the world's largest production facility for the high-performance plastic sold under the Hostaform® brand name.
  • 400 engineers and 1,200 construction workers spend three years building the facility. The industrial park's "once-in-a-century project" is brought to a successful close.
  • Infraserv Höchst begins using zero-emissions hydrogen-powered fuel cell vehicles.
  • Utility company Mainova and Infraserv Höchst build a state-of-the-art biomethane upgrading plant. Mainova supplies the biomethane produced at Industriepark Höchst to residential customers as well.
  • The commissioning of the new gas turbine plant makes the site largely energy-independent.

2010

  • Infraserv Höchst invests EUR 70 million in a new energy production facility. It consists of two gas turbines, each generating 45 megawatts of electricity.

2009

  • SOL, an industrial gas company, invests EUR 20 million to construct a production plant for liquefying technical gases.
  • A new pipeline bridge built by Infraserv Höchst supplies steam and various raw materials to production facilities in the southern section of the park.
  • A new, colorfully designed acoustical barrier is built along the western perimeter of Industriepark Höchst.

2008

  • Infraserv Höchst starts the construction of a waste-to-energy plant.
  • Around EUR 44 million goes into the construction of a state-of-the-art logistics center. With 70,000 pallet positions, it is Hesse's largest storage facility for chemical products.

2007

  • Industriepark Höchst wins the contract for the relocation of Ticona's plastics production plant. Celanese, Ticona's parent company, had looked into over 50 eligible locations in order to make way for the Frankfurt Airport expansion.
  • Planning gets underway for a waste-to-energy plant. With a project budget of around EUR 300 million, it is designed to help make Industriepark Höchst energy-independent.

2006

  • A hydrogen filling station opens at Industriepark Höchst as part of the EU's Zero Regio project.
  • A co-digester is constructed to produce biogas from sewage sludge and organic waste.
  • The park is recognized as a "Selected landmark" in "365 Landmarks in the Land of Ideas", a German nationwide competition.

2005

  • A new technologically advanced biocenter for drugs bridges the gap between innovative research and efficient production – a crucial building block in ensuring the park's future success.

2004

  • The trimodal port on the southern bank of the Main River is completed for EUR 13 million.
  • It connects the road, rail and inland waterway modes of transportation – hence the name "trimodal".
  • The completion of the trimodal port significantly reduces heavy goods traffic.
  • The new Provadis School of International Management and Technology is a private college granting internationally accredited Bachelor's degrees.
  • An office and functional building is constructed on the eastern periphery of Industriepark Höchst. Owing to its unusual shape, it is dubbed the "Ship on Stilts".

2003

  • Aventis, now called Sanofi, invests a nine figure sum in the construction of a new insulin plant.

2001

  • Industriepark Höchst grows further, fuelled by the record EUR 450 million invested by tenant companies.
  • Infraserv Höchst builds a new multi-purpose laboratory building and a nine-story office building in the southern section of the park.

2000

  • Infraserv Höchst builds a new multi-purpose laboratory building and a nine-story office building in the southern section of the park.

1998

  • The factory site is turned into a modern industrial park with excellent infrastructure and plenty of space for new users.

1997

  • The former factory site is opened up to non-Hoechst companies. Infraserv GmbH & Co. Höchst KG is formed from the former parent plant's site services division.

1994

  • "Transition '94": Hoechst AG begins to reorganize and introduces a new organizational structure.

1980s

  • Pioneering work performed in genetic engineering. Production process for genetically engineered human insulin.

1960s/70s

  • The research center in the southern section of the industrial park is built and expanded. Two park bridges provide access across the Main River.

1960s

  • Pioneering work in environmental protection: 1965 sees the commissioning of Europe’s first large-scale biological treatment facility for industrial wastewater.

1950s

  • Pioneering work performed in plastics and synthetic fibers, especially the high-density polyethylene Hostalen and the polyester fiber Trevira. Oral antidiabetics are also developed.

1939

  • Prisoners of war, foreign workers and forced laborers from all over Europe are used due to the labor shortage. Approximately nine thousand of them work at the Höchst factory.

1930s

  • The factory infrastructure is revamped. The generation and delivery systems for power and steam are modernized.

1923

  • Insulin production begins, using the process developed by Banting and Best.

1919

  • An outstanding example of expressionist architecture: Peter Behrens designs and builds the new Technical Administration Building for Farbwerke Höchst. Construction starts in the spring of 1920. The building is ready for use in June 1924.

1910

  • Beginning of modern chemotherapy: Salvarsan, an anti-syphilis drug discovered by Paul Ehrlich, is produced on a mass commercial scale.

1894

  • The diphtheria serum developed by Emil von Behring enters production as the first immunobiological agent. It also launches the successful fight against diphtheria, which in this period claims the lives of 50,000 children per year in Germany alone.

1896

  • Tuberculocidin, a tuberculosis diagnostic, is Hoechst’s first immunological drug. It leads to the creation of a sero-bacteriological department.

1883

  • Tuberculocidin, a tuberculosis diagnostic, is Hoechst’s first immunological drug. It leads to the creation of a sero-bacteriological department.

1869

  • Mass commercial synthesis of alizarine, the red dye made from madder and famously used in the French army’s uniforms.

1863

  • Carl Meister, Eugen Lucius and Ludwig Müller set up a coal tar dye factory in Höchst. The firm is staffed by chemist Adolf Brüning (who becomes a partner in 1865), five factory workers and one office clerk. The factory's first product is fuchsine, a red-violet dye that earns the plant the nickname "The Red Factory".